October 17, 2009

What is this detail?

Does anyone know a name for a roof that steps like this?





Concord Carpenter said...

No idea, looks a bit silly.

My guess would be "stepped out roof rake detail"

Ichthus said...

Never seen anything like that here in the midwest. Perhaps someone was being artistic. Is this commom in your area?

Barry said...

@ Concord Carpenter,

It looks especially silly isolated like this.

Thanks for your suggestions. I googled combinations and got Dave Letterman of all things but no closer to a name for this. There may be no official name.

@ Ichthus,

Hey buddy, This is not common here. It is a detail on the United State Coast Guard's Indian River Life Saving Station. I feel like I have seen it before but it may have been on other Coast Guard buildings or buildings inspired by them.

Perhaps they have an architectural historian.

Anonymous said...

You may be able to find it in here... http://www.scribd.com/doc/4768697/Dictionary-of-Architecture-and-Construction-

That's a 1100+ page book that you will likely find interesting even if you don't find what this roof is called.

It's a downloadable pdf so you can keep it around. Scribd is a good source for all sorts of books.

Barry said...

Thanks Anon,

I appreciate you taking your time to post this. I own this book in hardcover and work out of it often.

I was not able to find it in the book itself but PDF files ar searchable which will help a lot.

Best Regards