December 21, 2008

On writing it down, business plans and leaps of faith

.
.
.
I am a documentarian by nature. When I first started working on the schoolhouse, way back when, I had a set of journals which served very much the same purpose as this blog. It was written documentation of how I was doing and my frame of mind in a very specific time. And it was a mirror for me to see what I was learning first hand.
.
.
Yesterday, my wife and I took a trip to Washington DC to see her sister who has been working in America but is about to go home to Lithuania. On top of this huge shift of gears, she is engaged to be married in 9 months so I asked her”How does it feel to be starting your new life again”. She smiled, raised an eyebrow and repeated “again" adding a nod of affirmation. With so much happening so fast for her the changes must be entirerly traceable. Just six months ago she was arriving here to work in the nation’s capital for an internship straight out of business school in Vilnius, Lithuania. I don’t know K well enough to say how she will process this new chapter of her life but I have always felt healthiest when I was writing things down.
.
.
One of the many changes this blog is documenting is the expansion of my carpentry business into something more. For some time now I have known that I wanted to widen the scope of the services I offered. One service I am committed to adding is home inspection. Another is property management. The term “home services” is an accurate one to describe the type of relationship I am looking to forge with clients and the buildings they partner with. I want to be able to provide services for the home or small business which range from helping a client in their search for one, to getting to know a building well enough that I can assist them in making important decisions regarding it. Decisions that, once made, I could help carry out; either as project manager or by doing the work myself. I am very interested in the concept of taking a clients property personally in this way. In fact, the whole idea feels perfectly natural.
.
.
.
.

No comments: