January 12, 2009

Corrective Lenses

.
I was in class, fairly early on, in somewhere around the fourth grade when the teacher whom I don’t remember noticed I was squinting to see the blackboard. (I remember living with a headache as though it were normal) I was sent to the nurse for an initial eye test and shortly after that I must have been to see the optometrist who would have prescribed for me my first pair of glasses.
.
Another pre-glasses memory I have is lying at the base of a Christmas tree and looking up at the blinking lights which were bright, fractured, fuzzy and soft.
.
I tried contacts lenses in high school and I liked them when I wasn’t suffering from viral conjunctivitis. It was brought on by me failing to clean them properly and it was really painful.
.
My work as a carpenter has kept me from trying them again. The glasses help keep the stuff out of my eyes. I wear them from the moment I get out of bed until the moment I crawl back in.
.
I am reluctant to get my eyes operated on to correct them as I really like being able to take a visual time out by removing my glasses.
.
My camera, quite by chance, created an admirable approximation of how the same scene would look to me with and without corrective lenses.
.
.

.
With
.
.
Without
.
.

No comments: